Saturday, December 26, 2020

Vintage Project Spotlight: 1935 Crochet Jacket, Reefer Jacket

This vintage project spotlight is on my 1935 crochet jacket, 'Reefer Jacket'*.


   I found this pattern here, and it seemed like a good first attempt at making a crochet garment since the stitch pattern is very simple, and a jacket is much more forgiving in shape than a fitted dress, for example.

   I decided to use a larger yarn than is required for the pattern, mostly since I was still fairly new to crochet and wanted this project to be challenging, but not frustrating(I started this project over a year ago!).  Using a larger yarn meant having to adjust the amount of stitches and rows, but I would have already had to do that to size up the pattern, so it almost evened out in the end.

I used size 4/medium acrylic yarn in a color that almost exactly matches my green Bakelite belt buckle, and a vintage Susan Bates size 8 aluminum crochet hook.

  I took a lot of notes while making this, and used sewing pattern pieces to give me an idea if the pieces would be the right size for me, which helped tremendously(I would highly recommend doing this if having to size up or size down a pattern).  My only major issue was my lack of knowledge - I didn't leave very long tails at knots and joins, and had a few panicked moments when the knots started to come undone.  I managed to use sewing thread to strengthen them, but the inside is atrocious because of this(luckily only I will see it!)




  And here's the finished jacket!  It's very warm, and very heavy from the double thread and the 15(!) skeins of yarn, so even though the original image makes it appear to be a spring jacket, mine is more of a winter one.  It's also not perfect.  First, if I made this again, I would forget about that back pleat - I think it would be much sleeker without it.  Also, I'm only now noticing something weird about where the sleeve is, like it looks too far forward compared to the original photo.  Still, it's very cozy, I learned a lot, and I can't wait to make another crochet garment!







*Note: 'Reefer' is not referring to what you think it is.  Reefer is an old sailor term for the peacoat-style coats they wore, presumably meaning 'reef' as in a coral reef. 

Reefer Jacket #159
Free Vintage Crochet: Patterns

No comments:

Post a Comment