Friday, May 1, 2020

Fabulous Fakelite: Review of Bow & Crossbones Jewelry

*Not sponsored, I bought these items with my money and these are my opinions.*

  The brand Bow & Crossbones has been popping up quite a lot in the vintage community, and after having a look at their products I decided to dive in and order a few pieces.

  Bow & Crossbones is a UK based company that makes reproduction vintage jewelry, a lot of it is what is known as 'fakelite'(they also make reproduction lucite).  Fakelite is, usually, a modern resin plastic item that mimics the look and feel of Bakelite, but without the dangerous chemicals(and high price point).  What caught my eye with this brand in particular(since there are several companies making fakelite) was their 'Adelaide' line, which looks just like the very rare Philadelphia colored Bakelite, one of my favorite designs.  Since actual Philadelphia Bakelite is incredibly expensive, I was thrilled to find such a close copy.

  B&C then released their 'Tini Deco Fan' line, so I last minute bought the earrings(I'm looking for more bold but still casual earrings).

All.

Closeup of Adelaide bracelet.

Closeup of Adelaide earrings.

Closeup of Tini Deco Fan earrings.



  Overall I'm very impressed with this company.  The shipping cost from England was reasonable, and arrived in a little over a week.  The colors are almost exact shades of original Bakelite pieces(which was important to me so I can mix these with my actual Bakelite), and the texture and weight are very close as well.  I would absolutely purchase from Bow & Crossbones again, and highly recommend to those interested in mid-century reproduction jewelry.



Further Research:
Bow & Crossbones: 40's 50's Repro & Vintage Accessories
Bow & Crossbones: Adelaide Bracelet
Bow & Crossbones: Adelaide Fan Earrings
Bow & Crossbones: Tini Deco Fan Stud Earrings

No comments:

Post a Comment